At Sight Service we take your right to privacy very seriously.
The purpose of this policy is to make you aware of the personal data we collect, the steps we take to protect that data and how we may use it.
If you have any queries about this policy please contact Sight Service by calling 0191 478 5959 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- About Us
Sight Service is the operating name of Gateshead and South Tyneside Sight Service, a charity supporting people with sight loss in Gateshead, South Tyneside and the surrounding area.
We are a registered charity, number 1107499 and a company limited by guarantee, number 05206358. Our registered office is The Bradbury Centre for Sight, Unit 2B Stonehills Business Centre, Gateshead, NE10 0HW.
- Collection of Information
When you contact Sight Service for advice, assistance or support, we may collect, store and use your personal information in line with this policy.
We may collect personal information such as your name, address, email and other details that enable us to identify you. We may also collect sensitive information relating to your circumstances if you receive or wish to receive support services from us or ask for very detailed advice. Such information may include details of your medical conditions or some financial situation.
- Use of Your Information
The information we collect may be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- To provide you with a service or support
- To provide you with advice or information requested
- To meet your needs and ensure your safety, inclusion and convenience when attending an event we have organised
- If you have requested support, submitted a complaint or query, to be able to address the issue and provide you with a timely and appropriate response
- To send you the newsletter you have opted in to receiving
- To provide you with membership information
- To proceed with your application for employment with us
- To proceed with your application to volunteer or support us
- To fulfil any contractual agreements between us
- If you have provided a service to us, to be able to process your request for payment
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- To uphold any of your rights under GDPR or as part of an effort to protect your privacy
- Storage of Information
We keep hard copies of personal data in locked cabinets, in secure offices at our premises. Only Sight Service staff dealing with your case have access to these records.
All electronic information is recorded and stored on Charity Log, our client management system, on secure Charity Log servers based within the European Economic Area (EEA). Only appropriate Sight Service staff have access to this system. Access is protected by secure log in procedures and passwords.
Our website is hosted on secure servers within the EEA. We do not host personal information at the front end of our website. We cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted over the internet.
Financial information is stored on a secure server hosted by Smart IT. Hard copy financial information is stored in a locked cabinet in a locked, secure office.
If at any point we become aware of a data breach we will risk assess the severity of the situation. If we determine that the breach is likely to result in high risk to your rights and freedoms, we will communicate the breach to you without undue delay and report the breach to the Information Commissioners Office as part of our legal duty.
- Legal Basis for Processing Your Information
Our legal basis for collecting and using personal information will depend upon the information concerned and the specific context in which it was collected.
We will collect and use personal information where:
- We have your consent to do so; or
- We need the personal information to perform a contract with you; or
- The use of the information is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights; or
- We have a legal obligation to do so
- Disclosure of Your Information
We will only share your personal information with other organisations or people in order to provide you with the services agree to and where we have your consent to do so.
We may also disclose personal information if we are under a legal obligation to do so.
- Data Retention
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate interest or need to do so.
We will keep this information for as long as we are legally required to do so.
- Your Rights
Under the General data Protection Regulations, you have the following rights:
- The right to be informed – of how we collect and store personal data
- The right of access – to the information we hold about you. This information will be provided within one month of you making a request, in a format that is accessible to you, free of charge
- The right to rectification – where the information we hold is incorrect or incomplete
- The right to erasure – if you withdraw your consent for us to hold your personal information we will delete it at your request. However, where we have another legal basis on which we hold your information e.g. where we have a legal obligation to do so. In such cases we will advise why it is not possible to delete your information and work with you to minimise any use of it
- The right to restrict processing – here we will continue to store your information but restrict use of it
- The right to data portability – you have the right to request that we transfer your data to another organisation
- The right to object – you have the right to object to any direct marketing we do
- Rights regarding automated decision making and profiling – please be aware that Sight Service does not currently carry out these activities
If you feel that we have not respected your rights you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.
Information on how to do this can be found on the IOC website
However before making a complaint to the IOC we advise you contact Sight Service to try to rectify the matter in accordance with IOC guidance.
We may update or amend this Privacy notice from time to time to comply with statutory requirements or changing business needs. When this happens, we will take appropriate measures to inform you of the changes.
- Contacting Sight Service
If you have any questions, comments or complaints about this policy notice please contact.
FAO The Data Protection Lead
The Bradbury Centre for Sight
Unit 2B Stonehills Business Centre
Tel: 0191 478 5959